Tuesday, May 1, 2007

THE LOSS OF BROTHER NIVARD IN MARCH

I suppose by now all of you know that Brother Nivard died this spring. He was one of my favorite teachers at ND, despite the detentions.
Remember how Ernie Persley used to sabotage his physics demonstrations? One little car that was supposed to explain something about action-reaction sailed right out the classroom window.

I reminded Brother, when I was doing graduate work at USC that he once suggested that we pray for Notre Dame to beat God's Trojans. He, at first, denied that he had said it. Then he said sheepishly, "Well, when Notre Dame wins, it brings glory to our Blessed Mother's name."

My response was that, at the time, there were more Catholics on the USC team than ND. With that look between a smile and bewilderment, Nivard said, "Well, God works in mysterious ways."

Brother Nivard Meichtry was born in 1914 and died in March of 2007. He entered the Congregation of Holy Cross (CSC) in 1934 and made his perpetual vows in 1938. For awhile, after we had left, he was the principal of NDHS in Sherman Oaks.
Jerry Fecht

2 comments:

Art McCulloch said...

I remember his gentle humor, never more evident than when he let me spend two years teaching history at ND.
I dropped by our Alma Mater during the replacement of "The Annex" by new construction. Had a great time with Bros. Nivard, John Doran & Robert Hampton.
You know guys we were really lucky!

fritz nelson said...

I MET BRO. NIVARD IN MY FROSH YEAR AT NDHS. 1957. HE RAN VERY FAST. AFTER I
PULLED THE IRON DOOR OF THE 2ND. FLOOR BLAST REFUSE FURNACE OPEN TOO FAR . IT SNAPPED ITS KEEPER AND WAS WIDE OPEN SPREADING FIRE & SMOKE ALL OVER THE 2ND FLOOR.. BR. NIVARDS CLASSROOM WAS AT THE FAR END OF THE HALL. ILL BET HE DID THAT 100 YARDS
FASTER THAN TONY SALAS DID ON THE COURT THAT YEAR..HE TAUFGT ME RESPECT
FRITZ NELSON
LAKE OSWEGO, OR.