Tuesday, September 11, 2007

MEMORIES OF BROTHER JOHN DORAN'S SPEECH CLASS

From Pat Curtis

When I read about our Speech Club and Brother Doran, it triggered a LONG lost memory, and I wonder if you have any recollection of it.
As I recall, we were supposed to give a speech about California, and the winner would go on to a city contest sponsored and judged by, I believe, The Native Daughters of The Golden West, or, of California, or Pismo Beach, etc. etc. Anyway, I totally forgot that I had to give my speech. So, the night before, I sat down and wrote the history of Death Valley, which I totally made up. I do remember this, I said it was discovered by a Spanish Cavalry Officer, Juan Christ Ortega. I recall nothing else that I said. But, and here's the thing, I won, 1st for my class then, as I remember, for the school. I went on to the win somewhere else, and was in the semi-finals, where I lost, NOT on the content, but on my delivery!! And, I was being judged by women who were supposed to be experts on California History. Well, that's the way I remember it anyway. Does ANY of this ring a bell?

No comments: